Tuesday, February 14, 2012

the heart of the matter

so in honor of valentine's day, i wanted to share some heart-related things with you.  i know i have quite a few at-home mom's, grandma's, home-schoolers following me, so check out this smART class post for a cute heart project for little kids!

i was hoping to show you the jim dine inspired heart paintings that my own art students had done.  however, the older students rebelled and decided they didn't want to do it, and my kindergarten student still hasn't finished.  i do have this one from my new preschool class though.  isn't it lovely?


at the suggestion of one of my dearest friends, i checked out the crokin girls website and learned how to use my crock pot to make my own heart shaped crayons using all the broken pieces we have in my studio.  and trust me, that is a significant quantity!  i used heart shaped silicone baking cups i found at michaels.  i set them in the bottom of my crock pot, and then filled them about 2/3 full with peeled, broken crayons pieces.   i actually found enough pieces that had already lost the paper, but i have heard if you need to peel them you can soak them in hot water to help quicken the process.


according to the crokin girls, you close the lid and cook on high for 45 minutes.  after 45 minutes, however, i found that not all the crayons had melted.  so i cooked mine for an extra half hour or so.  once they were all melted, i pulled out the crock pot insert and set it on my stove top to cool.  once the melted wax had hardened, i popped the crayon hearts out and set them on wax paper.  viola!  they came out great, and much to my surprise, my boys love using them.  (i confess i thought it would end up a novelty.)


i also came across this great video by roberta laliberte showing how to make your own hand-painted paper.  i love her demo videos- they are really quick and super fascinating! 


and one more thing before i go, i am linking once again to dave's app recipe book, a super fun monthly challenge where iphonographers share their "recipes" for photos created exclusively with phone apps.  because the february challenge was due at the same time that i wanted to do a "heart" post, i thought i would try and do a heart-themed photo for dave's challenge.  however, that did not work for me.  i found all the things i tried to do to be much too contrived.  so, instead, i present this one, created about the word that's on my mind right now.  i took the picture of a canvas in my studio with camera+, chose the "portrait" setting under scenes, and then did a freestyle crop.  then i took it into scratchcam and hit the "random" button until i liked it.  the title is "revolution."


and this one has to do with the painting i'm struggling to finish right now.  the girl in the painting is my baby sister and is about the loss of our father.  (you can see the entire unfinished painting here.)  my idea was to create a self-portrait where i somehow become a part of the painting that is consuming me.  i took the photo with the reverse cam in phototoaster.  i then chose the filters "silver light" and "canvas."  last, i cropped it to a square.  i had trouble deciding on a title for this one, but for now i'm calling it "reflection."



so there you have it, not "a heart" but what's on my heart.  and isn't that the heart of the matter?

xo,

-julia

3 comments:

  1. Love the high-speed tutorial vid, and the concept for your paining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful, Julia!! I like how you used the apps in each one!! Thanks so much for participating this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous! I forget to use words in my work; very inspiring. And very cool about crayons in the crock. I'll have to share that with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a comment or question? Hit me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...