Tuesday, September 18, 2012

make it pop

the monthly online iphoneography project (otherwise known as the recipe book project) i like to link to is back from summer hiatus.  my entry this month is a tribute to roy lichtenstein.  we had a chance to see his amazing retrospective at the art institute of chicago this summer. 


due to the large crowd and a large number of no photography allowed signs, i only got a couple photos of artworks.  but, wow, these are just two of a massive collection of work spanning decades assembled in numerous rooms.  awesome.








at the exit, there were even some parting gifts. 




i am sorry to say that before this show, i had completely underestimated lichtenstein's work.  i am happy to say that my eyes have been opened and my mind sufficiently blown.  so, without further ado, here is my entry for the recipe book project.





i took the picture with the reverse cam on my ipad in camera+, applied an auto correct filter, and cropped it to a square.  then i took it into toon paint, turned it into an ink outline, and painted in certain areas with pop colors.  last, i took it into popdot, applied sunday comics -comic 8 for the style, took out the border inset under adjust, and added the text in the bubble under fun stuff.  now that i have given the "recipe", i'd like to add a quick note about the apps used.  i love camera+ and use it all the time.  although i've had toon paint for a while, i haven't used it much.  it did do what i needed it to do for this project though.  popdot, however, is another story.  it crashed on me over and over.  and over and over.  i finally got this version to save, but am still a little surprised by that. 

oh yes, and one more entry.  i love this picture of me in my studio taken by my 4 year old son, zac.  looks like he knows how to use instagram now!  


 

so there you have it.  if you have any kind of smartphone or tablet device, i truly hope you will try out some of the super fun apps out there.  and if you do, i hope you will join us in a future edition of the recipe book project.  click on over there and check out the entries for this month!

here's to being wrong...and loving it!

-julia

2 comments:

  1. This is crazy cool!! Love it!!! Thanks so much for joining The Recipe Book Project this month!!! You're the greatest!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this -- and that photo your son took made me smile. I have lots like this, too -- and I remember how he used to decorate the Christmas tree by putting all the ornaments in one spot - just about at his eye level. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a comment or question? Hit me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...